Wednesday, September 17, 2014

BUSINESS Relations

About a year ago us "broads from Etsy" shut down a website we'd begun to promote Etsy merchants -- and NOT ourselves. Every two weeks the three of us would each pick a favorite item. We put them on our website and then promoted like crazy, getting people from all over to come vote on their favorite of the three.  The winner's item got to remain on display on our website until we had 12 items (24 weeks) voted on.  We then had a huge promotion for "item of the first six months".

The first thing we would do would be to contact the shop owners whose items we'd selected and let them know, telling them to get their friends and their shoppers in to vote for them.  YOU WOULD BE AMAZED AT HOW FEW OF THOSE SELECTED THANKED US. It was actually quite hard work and we took time away from our shops to do this, trying to promote Etsy in general and those shoppers specifically. Of the first 12, we received a thank you from possibly seven, and few even told anyone about this site. Few got anyone in to vote for them. Most votes came from our promotions.  After a year of this we gave up. No one really seemed to realize just how much we were giving, they were receiving, and only a little over 50% had the "upbringing", as my grandmother would say, to say thank you. 

I make many treasuries and so does Sandy. Again, we are amazed at how few of the 16 chosen to be in the treasury bother to write and say "thank you for including me".  They MIGHT put it in the comment box --- but I believe a one on one thank you is in order when someone picks your item to be on display. 

Yes, I'm lecturing -- lecturing anyone who owns an on line shop. You cannot be a stand alone, me for me and all for me type of owner and expect to succeed. If just plain politeness does not spur you into sending thank yous for recognition from your peers, you are destined to eventually fail. Think of where you have your shop as a town or city. I had a resume' service in our city for almost 20 years. I belonged to the Merchants' Association, the Updowntowners, the Chamber of Commerce and a couple of other professional groups. I wrote a monthly column for our city's business magazine. Yes, yes that's called networking. BUT networking cannot begin unless you have enough pride in yourself and your product to be civil, to take the time to say "thanks" to another professional who helps get you recognized.  The last time Sandy did a treasury she received TWO thanks yous -- one was from me.  My latest has brought NO thanks yous from 16 people and only one person has gone into the treasury and posted a comment.  

This is a sad commentary on a huge group of people who consider themselves "professional" without even the slightest grasp of business relations. AND if you don't have that, then I shudder to think of what you probably consider "outstanding" customer relations because you put a thank you in the box with your product.  There's much more to customer relations too, but if you're one of these who doesn't thank a peer, I'm sure you're not doing all you can to become a friend of your shoppers. 

OK lecture over. BUT I hope I've made at least one person stop and think -- and change if necessary. You will be the one who succeeds!  


2 comments:

  1. Hi Ann, I agree with you wholeheartedly. It's frustrating, I know. I purposely do treasuries as my way of saying thank you by featuring all of those that have been so kind to feature our items. It is surprising the few that really care and can you believe that I have had people get angry at me for featuring them??? How's that for gratitude. I really do not understand that one. LOL
    Oh well, I know that personally love the networking part of Etsy, I just wish I didn't have to work a REAL job so that I had more time to spend doing it. But, it is what it is. :)

    I just wanted to stop by and tell you THANK YOU because I genuinely appreciate your hard work and I do care.

    Hugs to you, dear one!
    Pam xo xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK you, Pam!! (I just found this -- I'm still learning the twists and turns of BlogSpot). Like you, we've had people get angry with us for FEATURING them in a treasury --- and I'll never understand that either! With our slide shows, we usually include at least eight vendors besides ourselves and get three thank yous. And if they treat their business associates that way, I don't even want to THINK how they treat their customers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! We love to hear them!