Friday, March 10, 2017

Full And Part Time Sellers, How Is It Going?


Instead of talking about light things, or "nothing" things, just pouring out idle chit chat, we've decided to change our blog a bit.  And we would like you to get involved.  If we say something that leaves a question in your mind, leave a feedback question and we'll be happy to answer it.  If it's about your on-line business we will try to answer it, but if we can't,  we can write an article about THAT and see if someone else has an answer.

When I started annswhimsey, it was with the goal of quitting my day job.  That was five years ago.  I feel like my goal is just a few millimeters from my fingertips but I still need to have enough nerve to really DO it.  Any of you in that situation?  I remember reading Etsy's "quit your day job" quote over and over and in retrospect, I'm still glad I have not yet said goodbye to also doing the medical dictation I do from my home ... which can eat up two to three hours, three to four days a week.

I think most of us grew up and started working with the idea of  "a job is security" (which, let's face it, it is, but today not as secure as it used to be).  I worked IN medical offices for 10 years, and then quit and started two home based businesses.  Financially that was a good decision. Then our culture changed.  I am a nationally published writer, so my main home business was writing resumes for clients. I was extremely busy. BUT when the world started changing, and when our first grandchild came into the world (with Grandma babysitting him every day), I felt less and less safe having strangers coming into our house.  My husband became more concerned too, although there was only one occasion that unsettled me ... and I'd literally met with thousands of clients during those years.

Since everyone was headed for the internet I started considering it. I'd sold on Ebay, starting there within the first three days of them being "up".  Ebay was an entirely different world back then.  I could go through EVERY item listed on Ebay in about 20 minutes, and then start over again to see if anything had been listed in that time!  It's growth has been amazing, but probably 15 years ago or so, it had grown too big.  One day they doubled the prices for shops and that was when I quit and went back to the medical field.

I'd heard about Etsy and started watching it, and decided to jump in.  I've done okay --- on a scale of 1-10 I'd say I feel financially at a 7 ... and probably if I were to quit my other job and be able to devote all of my time to my shop, I'd reach that 10 ... but again, I don't know if I can live with 3 points of insecurity.

SOOO do any of you feel the same as I do?  Did any of you take the big jump and "quit your day job", and if so, has it worked?  And how about those of you who did take the jump and it hasn't worked?  We'd love to hear from you and share YOUR story ONLY IF you say it's okay.  If it's okay to share  your story but not your name, we will do that.  AND if it's NOT okay period .. that's fine ... then you are just writing to Ann and Sandy to help  me out in making my decision!

You can reach me at my gmai -- or leave a comment and how I can contact you on here.  My gmail is:  annswhimsey@gmail.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! We love to hear them!